Sunday, September 11, 2011

Dear Kai, part two

Now, there were many people that were not happy I was keeping this big detail a secret, I'm not going to name any names though (your Grandmothers and a few of your aunts). They did everything they could to get me to slip up and call you a he, she, him, or her. One of your grandmothers even tried taking me out shopping for baby clothes. Again, I won't name any names (Grandma Gayla.) She tried to act like she wasn't peeking through aisles of hung up clothes while I browsed the baby section, don't worry though, I had her number! :) I casually looked through both the boy and girl sections and picked out outfits for each with the intention that I would take the girl clothes back when the cat was out of the bag. I never did, because I really liked them. I didn't put them on you of course, they are just stashed away on one of the shelves in your closet for the baby sister you may have one day.
Anyways, the day finally came when we drove up for your Dad's graduation. A few days before we left, I made these cute pink and purple cards for each one of your grandparents. On the outside, was the ultrasound picture showcasing your family jewels. The inside had a short little note from you explaining how you were a really a boy and that I had chosen to make the card in girlish colors to throw them off. Before I gave them the cards, I was going to tell your Dad first. When we initially found out you were on your way, we decided that if you were a boy, we would decorate your room with a cool pirate theme. So when you actually turned out to be a boy, I found the cutest little pirate sippy cup and put it in a satin, drawstring bag to give to your Dad. Knowing full well, he would understand what I was trying to tell him. And he did.
We were sitting on a bench outside of cracker barrel (Ha! Totally not planned to be the place I would make the announcement but makes for an interesting detail) while your grandparents were sitting inside, on the edge of their seats no doubt! Your father looked at me and said, "Really? We are having a Kai?!" All while wearing the biggest smile, I have ever seen on his face. I'm pretty sure you had him at that moment, kiddo. The weekend was a dream and flew by way too fast. We kissed Daddy goodbye, yet again. He was on his way to airborne school at Fort Benning in Georgia.
The awesome thing was, I could drive every weekend to see him while he was there! We were so thrilled. Your Dad said every time he saw me that my belly looked bigger. We spent lazy days at our cozy hotel, enjoyed great dinners out, saw the 6th Harry Potter in theaters (I had to get up at least 5 times to use the bathroom), and spent a day in Callaway Gardens. It was definitely much needed quality time for us, but like usual, the almost 4 weeks flew by and we were saying goodbye, again. At least this time we were on the home stretch of our journey, I was just starting my 3rd trimester and Dad was leaving for AIT in Virginia. After that he was done and around that same time you were almost done cooking!
A few weeks passed and I drove up with Grandma Gayla and Papa Dave to see your Dad for Labor Day weekend. We picked Dad up and headed to Washington D.C. I was 30 weeks pregnant and my stomach was huge! People kept telling me it looked like I was going to fall over from my chicken legs giving out. It kind of did look like that... It was a weekend full of fun and lots of walking, Dad was proud I was keeping up so well.
At about 34 weeks I drove up yet again to see your Dad, this time with Grandma Ruthie. I made the mistake of not drinking enough water and not getting out of the car for enough breaks and when I finally got to Virginia something went a little wrong. I was having some serious Braxton Hicks contractions. Only they weren't BHs because these were painful and coming about every 2 minutes. After much debate, we finally headed for the hospital. We got lost about 5 times but we finally did make it there. The nurses hooked me up to a fetal monitor and monitor for my contractions, I was really relieved to know you were ok. At one point, the nurse asked me if I was feeling anything and I told her yes, I was in pain. She said, "Honey, that's because you are in labor!"
Cue panic-stricken look on my face. Then she added nonchalantly, "Looks like you will be having this baby in Virginia." I told her she was wrong and there was no way I was having my baby in Virginia. She just gave me a blank stare. No offense to VA, but that was just not something I wanted to do. They gave me some scary drugs and IVs, with the hope that my contractions would stop so you could continue to bake a little longer. Something finally worked and after 15 hours in the hospital, 3 of which I was shaking uncontrollably, I was released. Your Dad was so worried about me driving all the way back home to Florida, that he ever so lovingly map quested every hospital off 95 the entire length of our trip. I think there was one every hour or so. Luckily, I made it back home without delay and was feeling fine. Because I was so terrified of having you early after that, I put myself on mild bed rest the remainder of the time until your Dad came home. And you know what?! It worked! Your Dad returned home on November 10, 2009. 10 whole days before you were born. Thank you for that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment