Sunday, November 21, 2010

Oh, the places you'll go!

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!


You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

My baby turned one yesterday.
My sweet, tiny baby who was 6 lbs. 11 oz. that would sleep so soundly on my chest is now a toddler running around squealing and screaming with shouts of pure joy and excitment.
That was fast. 
I always knew it would go by quickly but here I am, post first birthday wondering how did that happen? 
My husband and I went out birthday shopping to target a few days ago, while little man was with Grandma. After we had looked at the toys and clothes, I wandered over to the book section. I always seem to find myself there. Books have always been a love of mine. Something completely consistent in an utterly inconsistent and sometimes disappointing world. Anyways, I love giving books as gifts. There is something personal and special about giving a wonderful story to someone. Makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it. Well, I happened upon one of my most favorite books. Oh, the places you'll go by Dr. Suess. It is traditionally given to kids when they graduate but I picked it up and started reading it. If you have never actually read it, it's basically in a nut shell about life and all of what it is made out of. That the reader can go anywhere, be anything and do anything he wants with it. I immediately started thinking about Kai and how his whole life was ahead of him.
He has only been on this earth for one year and already he has brought so much love, happiness and joy to so many people. What a blessing he is!
I am so excited to see what his passions will be, what kind of friends he will have, where he will travel, what his favorite color will be, what his greatest fear will be or what kind of son, husband, father, or friend he will become. 
I hope his life is full wonder. I hope he finds a great love. I hope he will find true happiness.
Motherhood is so beautiful. But it is also painful. It is hard to love someone that much. Every mother will agree, you pour every ounce of energy, time, patience, and love into that other person only for them to grow up and leave. And that is the point. To mold them into responsible, moral, kind members of society. To raise them to where they no longer need you. It is bittersweet, but it is life. 
So I have decided not to rush anymore milestones, to put away any distraction, and to completely submerge myself in every moment with my son. Before I know it, I will be watching my baby bird fly away and create a life for himself. Oh, the places he will go!

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!


So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off the Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!


No comments:

Post a Comment