Friday, October 8, 2010

The Love of Imperfection

"Love is not about finding a perfect person but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."


   Last weekend, my sweet husband came home for the night ( he is away at a military selection program for two months, more on that later). I had been busy all day cleaning the house, going to the store and cooking a nice meal of pork chops, mac and cheese (homemade of course), sauteed zucchini and apple dumplings. Yum! Of course, I didn't have to do any of this but I do because nothing gives me more happiness than to shower the people I love with love! And my Hubby is at the top of the list of people I absolutely adore. Is he perfect? By all means no. Is he perfect for me? Yes. Does he sometimes give me a headache and make me want to pull my hair out? Definitely. I think a huge turning point in our marriage was when I started to appreciate his imperfections instead of letting them exasperate me. He is who he is and I am who I am. So when he came home slightly crabby and exhausted instead of happy and cheerful to see me, I embraced that. 
     Believe it or not, the things I miss the most about him being home are the little things that usually irk me like crazy. I miss finding his leftover scrubble scattered around on our bathroom sink, I miss the way he always leaves his shoes in the most unfitting places, and I miss the way he clanks his silverware loud enough to wake our sleeping baby upstairs. I miss him. All of him. Because I love him, every last part.  
     It would be completely unfair if I didn't touch on my own imperfections. I am a recovering control freak meaning the tendencies are still there but I am trying to relax a bit, I almost always leave my strands of hair in our shower, I overanalyze situations to an extreme and I remember everything ( trust me this is NOT a good trait, my husband will agree). But thankfully, my husband loves me despite all of this and for that I am grateful. 
      One of the things my husband and I always try to remember is that the greatest thing that we can do for our child is to love one another. Kids need to be loved, see love and love back. And he is looking to us for his example.

No comments:

Post a Comment